Coaches' Code of ConductUpdatedThursday October 26, 2017 byLinda DiCapua.
HYAL COACHES’ CODE OF CONDUCT
The profound impact that coaches have on our youth requires us to set high expectations in terms of ethics, safety, teaching, communication, skills, tactics, organization, as well as responsibility.
1. HYAL coaches are expected to serve as role models: Your actions must live up to your words. You need to exemplify ethical behaviors such as honesty, integrity, fair play, sportsmanship, respect, and consideration for each other. These moral and ethical principles always need to take precedence over any emphasis on winning.
2. HYAL DOES NOT TOLERATE COACHES ANGRILY YELLING AT THEIR PLAYERS OR INSULTING THE PLAYERS AS A STRATEGY TO MOTIVATE THEM.
3. All HYAL coaches need to teach their players how to control their emotions, be team players, and respect referees’ decisions. Emphasis will be on improving one’s game and doing one’s best. There will be no place for anger and temper issues, neither by coaches nor by players. Tempers need to be kept in check. Players that display low temper control and poor sportsmanship need to sit until they are able to regain control over their emotions.
4. Coaches displaying poor sportsmanship will be issued technical fouls. Any coach that receives two technical fouls over the course of the season will be asked to step down.
5. All players will enjoy equal playing time. However, it is within the coaches’ discretion to limit or change playing time based on practice attendance and sportsmanship/attitude.
6. HYAL coaches shall provide for a physically and emotionally safe environment for young players during practice as well as games.
7. HYAL coaches shall refrain from direct physical contact with players that could be construed as too intimate in nature.
8. HYAL coaches shall maintain a professional demeanor in their relationships with their players, officials, other coaches, administrators, and the community.
9. HYAL may amend this Code of Conduct from time to time as it deems necessary.